Will, Distribution of Deceased Property, Die, Testate, Intestate, Grant of Probate, letter of administration, estate planning

Distributing a Deceased's Property


Distributing a Deceased's Property

What is a Will ?

A Will is a document to state the manner a person's property is to be distributed when he dies.

With a Will, how is the deceased's property distributed? ?

It will be distributed according to the will.

Without a Will, how is the deceased's property distributed?

Without a Will, the Law will decide on who shall inherit the assets as follows:-

Surviving Parties Manner of Distribution
Spouse only Spouse entitle to whole of the deceased's property
Parents only Parents entitle to whole of the deceased's property
Issues only Issues entitle to whole of the deceased's property
Spouse and Parents only Spouse (1/2 share) & Parents (1/2 share)
Spouse and Issues only Spouse (1/3 share) & Issues (2/3 share)
Parents and Issues only Parents (1/3 share) & Issues (2/3 share)
All Spouse, Parents & Issues Spouse (1/4 share), Parents (1/4 share), Issues (1/2)

Note: Issues refer to children and grandchilren.

How can family members or lawful beneficiaries inherit deceased's property?

Engage a lawyer to apply the followings from High Court or Land Office.
If a person die with a Will, a grant of probate is needed to distribute the property.
If a person die without a Will, a letter of adminsitration (LA) or a distribution order is needed to distribute the property.

For Further Information & Inquiries

Please obtain legal advice or Consult Our Panel Lawyers.


Disclaimer: MyLawyer.com.my has made every effort to ensure the accuracy and correctness of the contents, information or data contained in this section. Mylawyer.com.my does not represent or warrant the truth, accuracy, completeness and correctness of the same. The information herein have been obtained or derived from sources believed by Mylawyer.com.my to be reliable. Mylawyer.com.my accepts no liability for loss or damage suffered or incurred by you or your estate as a result of you relying on any advice given or any wrongful advice provided by Mylawyer.com.my or howsoever arising from the use of the information or material presented herein. If you know that the information in your country differs from that given above, and if you can supply good references to prove it, then please Contact Us. This page is intended for educational purposes only and should not be used to inform personal decisions. If you are in any doubt about the age of consent law in your region, please contact your lawyer or you may seek expert legal advice from our panel lawyer here.